Friday, 26 April 2013

Grannies turn tires for survival



By Patience Tandawa
THE elderly in Ebantwini, Bulawayo have turned to old tires for energy due to persistent power cuts being experienced in most parts of the country.
The grannies who are caring for the sick relatives and looking after their grandchildren said they are trying to make ends meet in the face of daily challenges. The elderly were in unison saying it was better to dabble with the health hazard that be killed by hunger.
“I am old and cannot walk long distances in the search of firewood. I also don’t have the money to buy firewood,” said Gogo Elizabeth Mlauzi 70, who stays with her two grandchildren.
She added that she will continue to use tires as her electricity has been cut due to ballooning ZESA arrears.
“ZESA told us to our bills were accruing interest and they cut us off. I stay alone as all my children are late and I look after their children so I prioritise food to anything,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment